KUALA LUMPUR, 27 March 2020 – Since the start of the Movement Control Order (MCO), McDonald’s Malaysia has increased its food safety and hygiene measures to ensure the health and wellbeing of its People and Customers. Today, the quick service restaurant chain announced the rollout of its Contactless and Cashless system for its McDelivery service.
Since the onset of the MCO, McDonald’s Malaysia has taken extra measures for its delivery service, to ensure the safety of its customers and riders. These include:
• Riders are required to wear masks before entering McDonald’s premises
• They are required to sanitise their hands
• Riders must undergo a temperature check outside the restaurant every day
• A crew member will be assigned to sanitise and clean the delivery bags of each rider before the food is packed into their respective bags
• Separated the pick-up points for McDelivery Service (MDS) riders and those from Grab Food and Foodpanda riders in McDonald’s restaurants
With the roll-out of its contactless delivery service today, additional safety measures and enhanced social distancing practices have been put in place, such as:
• Take-away bags are sealed, with the rider’s and crew’s temperature reading plastered on the bag
• Rider will contact customer once they have arrived at delivery spot
• Rider will drop off food at an agreed safe spot
• Rider will stand at least one meter away from customer to minimise contact with customer
Only cashless payments will be accepted for orders made through the McDelivery service.
“At McDonald’s Malaysia, the safety of our customers and employees are our utmost priority, which is why we are stepping up our efforts, especially for our delivery service, during this difficult time,” said Azmir Jaafar, Managing Director and Local Operating Partner of McDonald’s Malaysia.
Standard operating procedures (SOP) in restaurants
While McDonald’s restaurants are closed for dine-in during the MCO period, most of its restaurants nationwide are open for drive-thru and takeaway orders.
Within the restaurants, the company has ensured that high standards of food safety and cleanliness are adhered to. The current daily SOP in all McDonald’s restaurants include:-
• After closing hours, each restaurant will assign a Manager and 4 crew members to carry out detailed cleaning of the store. This covers areas within each restaurant like kitchen, Drive-Thru lane, dining area, and storage areas.
• Crew members are required to wear face masks and gloves. This includes crew members who are assigned to carry out temperature checks of guests and delivery riders.
“It has been a privilege of ours to continue serving Malaysians their favourite meals while they are at home. A big shoutout goes to our McDonald’s crew at all of our restaurants nationwide who have worked tirelessly to ensure that customers still enjoy our menu,” added Azmir.
McDonald’s Malaysia encourages the usage of cashless payments throughout its restaurants nationwide to minimise physical contact between crew members and the public.